Natural Heartburn Treatment – Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is an ancient folk remedy which is touted as the cure for almost any ailment you are able to think of, and heartburn is one such ailment. This is one of the natural remedies which many sufferers from heartburn find difficult to understand as it seems contradictory to ingest more acid when the problem causing your discomfort is the acidic reflux of your stomach contents.
There are several different theories as to why ACV might work but no scientific studies to back them up. These theories depend on whether the person believes their heartburn problem to be caused by too little or too much acid in the stomach. Those who believe that ACV works for heartburn caused by insufficient stomach acid consider that the vinegar increases the acidity of the stomach. Others believe that as ACV is a mild acid it helps dilute over-acidic stomach acids without making them too weak to digest the food. There is also another school of thought which believes that the bitter taste stimulates the saliva glands, neutralising the impact of the reflux of acid. The one thing which cannot be disputed is that a large number of people believe that ACV cured their acid reflux problem.
There are also many ways to take ACV. You can:
- take it neat by drinking 2 tablespoons in one go.
- mix it with cold water – 1 tablespoon of ACV to 8 fl oz of water.
- use warm water instead.
- add honey, maple syrup or molasses to sweeten.
- add cinnamon, ginger, cayenne pepper, lemon or lime juice to add flavor.
- add baking soda which is a natural heartburn remedy in its own right.
Moving away from these traditional heartburn mixtures there are also recipes which add fruit tea or fruit juice rather than plain water to help disguise the taste, but these may not be as successful in treating heartburn. They do however provide you with a drink attributed with many other health benefits.
Recipe – ACV Raspberry Zinger
- 32 fl oz of boiling water
- 4 tea bags of Raspberry Zinger Herbal Tea
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 8 tbsps of ACV
- Make the tea using all the ingredients.
- Allow to cool.
- Add ice and drink throughout the day.
Recipe – Fruity Apple ACV Soda
- 1 level tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ACV
- 3 fl oz water
- Fruit juice of choice to make up drink such as apple, blueberry, pomegranate or grapefruit juice
- Honey to taste
- Mix the baking soda, ACV and honey together and stir gently.
- Add the fruit juice of your choice and a little honey if needed.