Natural Heartburn Remedies from India
This is a guest post from Hema
She took the trouble to write a really lengthy comment in reply to Sheila so rather than have all her hard work hidden in a comment I’ve turned her comment into a post and this is what she said.
I have treated acid reflux, GERD, and heartburn by homeopathy and acupressure. You can see if it works for you.
Homeopathy:Try a combination of Acid Sulphuricum 30 + Carbo Veg 30 + Nux Vomica 30 4 pills ever 2 hours for one day, then every 4 hours next day, and 4 times daily for 4 days.There are no side effects in homeopathy.
Here are some home remedies too:
- Drinking milk or eating milk products are helpful in relieving symptoms of acidity.
- Foods such as pickles, vinegar, fried foods, hot spicy foods, chocolate, pastries, and raw salad vegetables like onion, radish, cabbage, and peppers should be avoided.
- Clove also helps to relieve the symptoms of acidity. Suck one piece of clove slowly to relieve the symptoms. It also helps to reduce the onset of disease that arises due to acidity.
- A cup of vanilla ice cream or a glass of cold milk also helps to get relieve heartburn and acidity within minutes.
- Almonds are also a good source for relieving the heartburn and acidity. Eat several almonds when heartburn symptoms persist.
- Lemons also help to prevent heartburn. Cut a lemon into thin strips and dip in salt. Eat before meals to prevent heartburn.
- Take some mint leaves and chop these and then boil in a cup of water and sip slowly after meals. If a person drinks Fresh mint juice every day he will never experience acidity.
- Jaggery or gur taken after every meal also helps to reduce the acidity. Keep a piece of gur in the mouth and slowly suck it till acidity decreases.
- Eating bananas is also helpful in preventing the symptoms of acidity and heartburn. To prevent acidity it is advised to eat a banana daily.
- A mixture of 2 tsp of natural apple cider vinegar and 2 tsp raw honey in a glass of water before meals fights with acidity.
- Basil (tulsi) leaves helps to get relief from burning, nausea and gas. Chew some leaves of tulsi to decrease the acidity.
- Coconut water 4-5 times a day decreases the symptoms of the acidity and the heartburn.
- Harad (Terminalia chebula) if taken after every meal prevents the symptoms of the acidity.
- 1 tsp juice of chebulic myroblan mixed with 1 tsp of amla (Indian gooseberry) juice helps to prevent acidity and heartburn.
- Boil one cup of water. To this add 1 tsp of Aniseed (Saunf). Cover and leave overnight. Strain the water in the morning, add 1 tsp of honey. When this is taken 3 times a day it prevents acidity.
- To 1 boiled liters of water add 1 tsp Caraway seeds (shah jeera). Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Sip while warm. Take this liquid 2-3 times a day for 5-6 days. It will decrease the acidity.
- Take a glass of water, add a pinch of baking soda and drink it. It gives immediate relief from acidity.
- Take a glass of warm water, add a pinch of hing (asafoetida) and have it every morning to prevent acidity.
- Eat a serving of cucumber or watermelon 4-5 times in a day to fight against acidity.
- Fennel helps to relieve abdominal pain, colon disorders, gas, and gastrointestinal tract spasms. It is an effective remedy for acidic stomach conditions (heartburn).
- Ginger is very useful for digestive disorders. It help to relieve indigestion from rich foods.
- Make a fine powder by adding equal amounts of ginger powder, black pepper, dried mint leaves, asafetida (hing), anise seeds, coriander seeds, cumin, fennel and common salt. Dosage: Take about 1 teaspoon of this powder with water, twice a day after meals.
- It is advised to eat 8-10 glass to water daily. Drinking water gives immediate relief to symptoms like wind, distended stomach and acidity.
- Chewing bubble-gum also disappears the acidity. This is an easy and best way to get rid of Acidity.
- For heartburn drink a teaspoon of vinegar. It is because there is not sufficient acid in our stomach to digest food properly, thus gasses come back up and burn our stomach.
- Calcium also helps to fight with the heartburn and acidity. Yoghurt or ice-cream gives immediate relief from acidity and heartburn.
- 1 tsp juice of chebulic myroblan mixed with 1 tsp of amla (Indian gooseberry) juice daily relieves acidity.
- Powder one clove and one cardamom; use the powder as a mouth freshener after every meal. No more acidity and no more bad breath.
- After eating maintain an upright posture to prevent the reflex and to prevent the symptoms of acidity.
- Sleep with your head and shoulder on a high pillow for elevation.
- Do not skip meals.
- Do not keep large gap between meals. This produces gas / wind.
- Eat dinner 2-3 hours before going to bed.
- Last but not the least stop smoking and cut down on alcohol.